How BIG are these aubergines?! Or as they say in Canada.. eggplants! I LOVE aubergine! It has such a nice meaty texture and is full of goodness for you! The recipe im sharing with you today, has come from a dish that was made in my hotel kitchen the winter just gone. It was a vegetarian option, but its SO delicious. If there was any left over I was always there to have a try. Inspired by that I decided to make my own.
This roasted aubergine and tomato, cheesey masterpiece is a delight for your stomach and super easy to make! It seriously defines the word COMFORT, with its layers of oozingly good melted cheese and softened fresh tomto. I served this dish with some nutty brown rice on the side, or for a lighter approach simply serve it with a fresh green salad.
Theres not much more to say about this dish… Let the photos do the talking!
This roasted aubergine and tomato, cheesey masterpiece is a delight for your stomach and super easy to make!
The aubergines I used were MASSIVE, so I used 1 between 4, but usually its one between 2
- 1 aubergine
- 1 roma tomato
- 1 red onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 tin chopped tomatos
- Tomato puree
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp basil
- 0.5 tsp cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 ball of mozzarella
- Heat the oven to 400f
- Chop your aubergine in half longways, and score the inside layer. Bake in the oven for approx 10 minutes whilst you prepare the filling.
- Finely chop your onion, garlic and sweat in a saucepan.
- Remove your aubergine from the oven and remove the softening filling using a spoon carefully. Add this aubergine to your frying pan along with your herbs, spices and tomato puree. Allow all this mix to soften on a low heat for approx 10 minutes.
- Remove the mix from the heat and add to the carved out aubergines. Meanwhile thinly slice the mozzarella and roma tomato.
- Layer alternate pieces of cheese and tomato aross the top of the aubergine.
- Bake in the oven for approx 15 minutes, until the cheese is melted, and serve.
Once its in the oven your pretty much all ready to sit down and enjoy this beautifully tasty dish! If you give this a go, let me know how it went! Id you’d like some more fun inspiration for tasty hearty ans healthy dinner options, follow this blog!
Also find me on Instagram, @the.last.bite.food.blog