WARNING: homemade content that may make your mouth water severely! ⚠️
No title will do these beautiful veggie burgers justice, so let me just run you through EXACTLY what’s going on here!
Spicy black bean burgers, with a homemade potato yam rostie bun, caramelised red onions and salad. Served with a side of CAULIroni cheese. 🍔
These spicy black bean burgers from morning star farms are DELICIOUS, I highly recommend. They come in a few flavours, however my favourite are the spicy black bean burgers. Packet with protein from your beans, they are a lot better for you then your normal meaty boys. They worked perfectly for this dish, but don’t you worry il be making them myself next time!
I decided to make potato rostie buns, as I don’t eat much bread and they worked sooo well as a crispy shell for the burgers. This gluten free alternative was a delight, and so easy to make as well.
Not wanting more potato as a side, I decided to make some Mac n cheese…. made without pasta and with cauliflower. Very similar to cauliflower cheese ingredients wise, I just made the florets finer like little pieces of macaroni. As a side it was delicious, however I actually chucked mine inside my burger, oozing the cheese, spicy, beany, fresh, crisp burger sensation all together.
Say no more! 👌
Ingredients for everything… (serves 4)
- 1.5 potato yams
- 4 black bean burgers
- 2 large tomatos
- spinach leaves
- 1 red onion
- Half a cauliflower
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1.5 cup milk
- 3 cups of cheese ( i used cheddar)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tsp dijion mustard
How to make your rosties…
- Peel your potatoes and grate them completely.
- Place all of your grated potato in a tea towel and squeeze all the water out.
- IMPORTANT: you want to get as much water out of your potatoes as possible to make a super crispy rosti. So grab some muscle and repeat the process many times.
- Spray your baking tray with oil and place a ball shape rostie onto the tray. Flatten slightly to create a disk shape. Repeat for all of your rosties… 2 per person.
- Pre heat your oven to 180/200, bake in the oven for 10 minutes and then carefully turn your rosties. Repeat on the other side.
How to make the Cauli-roni cheese.
- Par boil your cauliflower until its soft but not flaky.
- Remove from the water and chop into smaller pieces, like the size of macaroni.
- Meanwhile place flour and seasonings with butter in a pan and stir.
- Slowly add in some milk to the roux and whisk constantly (it will be super thick). Keep adding a little at a time until it smooths out.
- Whisk until it reaches a boil and let bubble 1 minute. Add in your mustard
- Remove from heat and add cheese. Whisk until smooth. If it is too thick add some more milk.
- Mix the sauce in with your small pieces of cauliflower. Place in a small baking loaf tin and cook for approx 20mins until it starts to go golden on top. Serve with your burger.
When all elements are ready put together your burgers and ENJOY! I actually put some of the caul-roni cheese inside the burger. IT went sooooo nicely with the spicy flavour from the beans and was great to help hold the bad boy together.
If you give this a go, let me know how it went! For more fun recipes follow my blog, or find my on my instagram, @the.last.bite.food.blog