Salad Calprese, is one of the most simple but beautiful tasting salads you can have, With fresh Mozzarella, home grown basil and fresh tomatoes it makes a mouth watering-ly flavoursome dish. With this in mind I decided I wanted to take the idea of these 3 ingredients and make something exciting for dinner.
I came up with this mozzarella chicken, in a smokey tomato chunky sauce and basil pesto spiralized courgettie…. and boy did it work!
As well as in a salad, mozzarella cheese is also nice melted, as you often find it on pizzas or oven baked dishes. So I butterflied, seasoned and pan fried the chicken breasts, and chucked a load of mozzarella cheese on and melted it under the grill!
Next to bring in the tomatoes and basil to the dish, I made a rich and slightly smokey tomato and basil base sauce for the chicken to lay on. In this was tomatoes, mushrooms, pepper, garlic and a load of basil. I allowed this too simmer for a while to really enhance those tomatoey basil flavours.
Finally what to serve it with? I waned to have a low carb healthy dinner and decided that the dish needed a bit of greenery to it. I also wanted to further bring out the basil element to the dish. So what green vegetable could I combine with more basil. Courgettie….. one of my favourite green vegetables! I steamed this in a saucepan, and after it was cooked, threw a load of basil pesto through.
Considering its a low carb meal, with 5 vegetables in it, it tasted so cheeky and delicious! Tomato, basil and mozzarella really are a match made in heaven, even outside of the salad bowl. Give this dish a go and let me know just how well it works!
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1/2 mozzarella ball
- 2 courgettes
- 1/3 jar of pesto
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Handful of mushrooms
- 1/2 a pepper
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- Tomato puree
- Firstly we want to get the sauce on so it can simmer and enhance those smokey basil flavours. Chop up your onions, peppers and mushrooms into small cubes and finely chop your garlic. Then add the onion and garlic into a pan and soften.
- Once these are softened add in your peppers and cook for a further minute.
- Now add in your spices and cook them out for a couple minutes.
- Next add in your tinned tomatoes, puree, and mushrooms and stir. Now simmer this dish on a low heat whilst you make the rest of the meal.
- Now get your chicken breasts and butterfly them out to make them thinner and season. Sear the chicken until brown on both sides in a hot frying pan. Once this is done turn down the heat and allow them too cook on the inside for approx 15mins.
- Meanwhile slice your courgettes up using a mandolin to make your cougettie. If you don’t have a mandolin you will need to slowly and finely slice your courgettes… it may take a while but it is worth it. Then boil a pan of water.
- Final stages… your sauce should have simmered, your chicken will be cooked all the way through. Chuck your courgettie on the pan to steam for approx 5-10 minutes. Whilst this is cooking slice your mozzarella thinly, and place on top of your chicken.
- Turn on your grill and place the chicken under for a couple minutes.
- Take your cooked cougettie and place in a large bowl with your pesto and stir.
- Serve a large spoonful of your tomato mix onto your plate, followed by your chicken on top. Lastly use a fork and spin it to make a courgettie spiralled nest and place it on the plate.
AND ENJOY! 🙂
This dish was really fun to make and tasted even better! It really was one of those dishes that I really didn’t want to finish! If you fancy some carbohydrates with it you could boil some brown rice, or make some mashed potatoes which would both go lovely with the tomatoey basil sauce. For more recipe inspiration follow my blog, thanks.