BEANS beans there good for your heart, the more you eat the more you…. WANT TO KEEP EATING!
As we are still having our drizzly cold evenings at the moment, what better to have for dinner than this hearty winter warmer dish. Packed with goodness this dish is suitable for everyone, from vegans, to those on a gluten free diet, to your BIG OLD meat heads.
The BEAN-ifits for you…
Beans, are heart helpers. They are low in fat and high in protein. They balance blood sugar and have been proven to cut cancer risk. Full of so many nutrients they are also not only helping your insides but also helping you wallets, costing very little for a major ingredient that can fill you up so much.
- 1 tin kidney beans, 1 tin of chickpeas, 1 tin of sweetcorn (you can use any beans you like for this dish, just vary a couple different types/colours to give you dish variety.)
- 2 tins chopped tomatoes
- 1 large red onion
- 1 red pepper
- few button mushrooms
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 chillies
- Handful of spinach
These are you main base ingredients for the dish and these are the spices and flavourings I used to create that deep smoky flavour.
- 2 tbsp Smoked paprika
- Additional chilli flakes/ hot chilli powder ( depending on your level of spice)
- 1 tbsp Turmeric
- 1 tbsp Cinnamon
- Few fennel seeds
- Tomato puree, inch
- Lea and Perrins splash
- S & P
- Dice your onion and pepper into small cubes and chop your garlic and chilli finely.
- Slowly cook your onions garlic and chilli on a low heat until they soften. Next add your pepper and finally your mushrooms.
- Add your spices into your softened vegetables. This is an approximate amount of the spices to use to get your basic flavour of your beans. Feel free to add more spices if you want to further enrich your sauce flavour. If you like spicy food then up your chilli spice intake. Cook for a couple of minutes of a low heat.
- Next add your chopped tomatoes, stock cube and beans, a glug of hot water and stir. Add in the remaining things from your spice list and cook on a low heat for 45 mins. Be sure to regularly stir your beans to ensure it all cooks evenly.
- Add in your spinach approx 10 mins before serving.
And thats your smokey cowboy beans!
These beans are ready to serve as they are, for a Vegan Gluten free dish. However you can also add meat with you beans, as I did with this version below and added a burger on top of the beans to make it a real cowboy stew. This dish would also go great with sausages, or a chargrilled chicken breast.
As I said before this dish really is suitable for everyone, so definitely have a go at making it for your friends or family. Let me know how you get on by simply leaving me a comment or posting to my Instagram.
Follow my instagram.